Monday, October 31, 2011

Riomaggiore, Italy

I went to the train station Thursday (I think) and the only village open was Riomaggiore, which is the first village of the five. Manarola is the second village. It is only 2 minutes away and you could walk the trails, if they were open. So, I took the train, as I said in my picture-less blog. So, here are some pictures from there. This is the train station - right on the water.


This mural is right outside of the train station in Riomaggiore.




Very picturesque houses and scenery.









The old church that looks very similar to the one in Manarola.




This is the closed D'Amore trail where people put lover's locks on the gates. You can see some of them to the left of the gate and on top of the gate. I think the rest are on the trail.



This is the tunnel back to the train station. It is probably a block or more long and one side is all mosaic. I tried to show you a small view of the walls but it really has to be seen in person.













I have to admit that it is difficult to be a tourist here right now with the devastation going on around me. I would rather be shoveling in ankle deep mud to help them recover.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment