Sunday, September 20, 2009

One of my favorite travel items



I'm a bit lazy and sometimes a little scattered in my approach to travel. I want to quickly gather what I need for Seymour and the items need to be simple and convenient to use. I'm the type of person who never checks a bag on a plane because I can fit everything I need into a carry-on and a back pack - even if I'm going to Europe for 2 weeks. So, when traveling in the States with my dog, I try to travel the same way.

This is not to say that I don't succumb to gadgets and cuteness. Seymour does have a wardrobe of clothes but my reasoning is that chihuahuas can get cold and need the warmth of a sweater or pea coat. And he can't take a walk on Halloween without wearing his costume or a muscle tee shirt on the beach. Did I mention that my children are all out of the house? OK, I digress.

So, I found a great water bottle with a folding trough that I've been using and loving for over a year. I won't go on a trip without it. There are many companies that make these bottles but the one I have it called the Gulpy Pet Water Dispenser. I got it at REI for under $10. By the way, I am not selling or profiting from any item I mention.


When I'm traveling by car, I keep it handy in a car seat pocket. I've read reviews of similar items and one complaint is that they leak. I have never had that problem. There is a flip trough attached to a water bottle and the only time water comes out is when you unhinge the trough and squeeze the bottle. Seymour loves to drink out of it. I continue to squeeze as he is drinking so he almost thinks he is drinking from a running faucet - or a dripping faucet. Seymour is a picky eater and drinker so finding something that encourages him to keep hydrated was a relief.

I do have a couple of small complaints with the Gulpy. First, it is quite a big bottle for Seymour. We could easily use one 1/2 the size and it would be more convenient to carry around. The one I have holds 20 ounces of water. But I have read reviews from people with large dogs who say it is too small - so maybe they need to make 3 sizes.

The other problem is when I take Seymour for a walk and clip the bottle to my jeans, it soon looks like I have a quacking duck bill (not the body) attached to me. The trough opens and closes and twists to my body movements. Now, I'm not a "sashay-er"; the hips make the normal movement of a well over 6 pound body, so I'm pretty sure the product design is the problem. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm thinking that wrapping a wide rubber band around both the bottle and trough should keep it from quacking.

The problems are minor compared to the convenience of having an easy-to-use one piece water/bowl. I like it so much that I plan to buy another, just in case this one breaks or gets lost.

Seymour was well on his way toward having the perfect and necessary travel accessories - and stylish travel wardrobe.

1 comment:

  1. Such a great concept (and I love the name Gulpy). I have to get one for Otto.

    ReplyDelete