Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Day 2 Driving back from PA

We headed out at about 9:30 am and quickly stopped for a large coffee and Diet Coke. We both needed our caffeine! I have decided to do all of the driving so Shan can entertain the boys. Pax is pretty easy since he is almost 5 and is obsessed with his Power Ranger toys and books. Gibby is not quite 2 so he is more of a challenge. I woke up with a sore throat so am pretty sure a full blown cold is on its way.

It rained just about all day with spots of fog and heavier rain so we couldn't use Rest Areas to allow the boys to run around and get rid of some energy. We decided that McDonalds was the next best idea to try since they often have indoor play areas. Unfortunately, we didn't find any with play areas. We pulled into a few but left when they didn't have the play area. We finally just picked one that wasn't attached to a gas station and let them run around inside while I walked the dogs in the drizzling rain. Our goal was to go at least 400 miles today.

Soon the low tire pressure gauge lit up again. I stopped and checked and the back passenger side tire was a little low. Shan looked online and found that sometimes that gauge needs to be reset and found directions to do it. I decided to unload part of the trunk to get to my air machine hickey and put some air in the tire. The low air gauge went off. Hopefully there is no other tire problems the rest of the way home.

When we got into Tennessee there was a wreck on the freeway. We sat for about an hour and when we finally could move, we saw a wreck between an 18 wheeler and a motorcycle. Unfortunately and sadly, it didn't look good. We went less than a mile and we were stopped again. I am guessing it was another accident because the rain had been pretty heavy. I set my GPS to do a detour and we got off the freeway and got on some back roads.

We passed some cute small towns and were still miles from a main road - and hotels when we went through a town called Linden, Tenn. We both really loved the artsy look of the place and passed an old hotel. Shan used her trusty iPhone to look it up and their website said it was an economical place to stay for travelers. I called and found that rooms were $59 a night and dogs were allowed, free of extra charge. We turned around and headed back to the hotel. I will add pics tomorrow. It had an attached restaurant, also.

The hotel was built in 1939 and was restored. It has 12 rooms, all with antique looking furniture but still has a frig, microwave and flat screen. We ordered our food in the dining room but the boys were too wound up to sit and eat, so they asked if they wanted to watch cartoons in the other dining room. So we schlepped our food in there and the boys ate while mesmerized to the T V. Whatever works.

I went to the grocery store a block away to get some cold medicine, I took some Theraflu but obviously it wasn't the night time version because here I am at 3 am writing my blog - and coughing. At least the dogs are asleep beside me.

Because of the traffic and our detour, we didn't quite make 400 miles so we have about 830 miles to go. But the detour was a great decision. This out of the way town is a wonderful find.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment