Thursday, April 8, 2010

Final Comments on This Trip




First, as you can see, for Seymour traveling is hard work! Seriously, he really seemed to like it and didn't mind the driving part. He reminded me when it was time to stop and walk him. I hear about people who have pets that get car sick - I'm really glad Seymour isn't one of them.

As I've said before, traveling with a pet is much more enjoyable to me than traveling totally alone. I would not have walked as much or talked to as many people by myself. There are downsides, such as not being able to do the NASA tour and not being able to go into restaurants. I mostly did take-out meals and ate in a park or at a camp ground.

While driving through each State, I wondered which allowed the use of cell phones. I know it's best to use a hands-free phone but I haven't quite figured out how to set that up yet. I will research and put the info on this site so others can print it and have it when traveling.

A few more tips:

1. When camping, don't forget to look for the Corp of Engineers parks. I have a book that lists them and I noticed that some of the State maps include them in their list of State and National Parks. I want to get a National Park book because I have a Park Pass that allows me to pay 1/2 price for camping. That pass also gives the same discount at the Corp of Engineers parks. So far, the only State I have found that gives a discount with the National Park Pass is Louisiana. I hear that there are more - I just haven't found them yet.

2. I was told that Motel 6 will give a 10% discount to pet owners now. I don't know how long this will last, but if you are driving, this may be a good deal. I would be curious to know what the rooms look like that they give you. The last time I took Seymour into a Motel 6, my room was pretty awful. I hope they have upgraded.

3. Don't be afraid to ask at shops if you can bring in your pet. I've only been turned down a few times. Mostly, I just carry him and try to be unobtrusive. I am sure that one complaint by one customer could curtail their open pet policies.

4. Although I'm told that many Walmarts allow campers to park overnight in their parking lots, I never needed to do that. I also checked each Rest Area I stopped in and only found one that allowed trucks to park for 8 hours, no mention of campers. I may have just not been at the right Rest Areas yet.

I expect that our next few trips may be to various Texas Parks but I am already planning my next one - possibly to the west coast.

No comments:

Post a Comment