Sunday, November 27, 2011

Around Rome

Instead of going back to the Coliseum area (I would probably make anyone who tried to travel with me crazy), I decided to check out the areas near our apartment. I took the tram a few stops one way and then a few stops the other direction to areas that looked like there were interesting things happening.

I have passed this area every time I take the tram to Termini but finally decided to stop today. I wish I knew something about it. I saw a sign on part of this wall that looked like part of it was a memorial. It looks like an old wall to the city or part of an old building:










This is the tram I've been taking every day to go to Termini, which is the main train station. It's usually two or three cars long.




Then I got back on the tram and went past our regular stop a few more stops. This area was another small neighborhood that was bustling with people and shops. I noticed that Saturday is cleaning day and you see people with their clothes hanging outside. They probably do their washing on Saturday because it takes a good two days for it to dry. Sunday is the day everyone seems to walk around, shop and visit. I went into a few shops and found a couple little things I needed, like a lint remover that I use to get dog hair off of things - including him. He ran right over when he saw it. I have a strange dog :)

Anyway, I saw this monument while I was walking around and it looks like it might be related to the war. Again, I wish I could read Italian - there a gun barrel or canon or something sticking out of one side.





I went to the local bar and got a couple of pastries - very yummy and only 1 euro each. Then we went back to the apartment and I have started slowly going through my stuff seeing what I need to pack and what I can get rid of. Tomorrow morning we head to the Hilton at the airport for our last night in Italy. I am already having a bit of separation anxiety :( but it will be nice to see friends and family.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

  1. Susan,

    As I say to Brent often when he's traveling... Come home!!

    See you soon.

    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all your pictures. It really gives an idea of what you're enjoying. LOVE the wall. Beautiful. -Shannon

    ReplyDelete