Tuesday, November 1, 2011

One More Manarola Blog

As I walked around the village, I saw many vegetable gardens, grape vines, flowers and fruit trees. The hills are built up into layers of gardens where you can walk among the grape vines. The whole hill side is planted with things.




Close up of the rock walls that lead to each level of garden.




Manarola is known for a lemon liquor and I admit that I didn't try it. But there were many trees where I walked Seymour that were filled with lemons and oranges. Yet, I found no lemons for sale in either of the grocery stores. I really wanted a lemon and was hoping one would fall to the street as I passed - didn't happen.





I don't understand why no one seems to be picking the fruit from the trees. Here is a whole tree of kiwis. Hard to see but all of those brown bunches are the fruit.




And I think this is a rhododendron bush - this was the last bloom. Flowers are everywhere.




I didn't get a picture of the boats being hoisted up to where the buildings start but you can see how far it is from where the boats come in to where the boats are kept - right in the streets.







One more sunset picture from here - beautiful.




The train was even later out of Manarola because there was only one train track and they were having to use trains to collect and dump the mud from the slides in the other villages.

I eventually got to Livorno at about 3:30 pm.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment