Monday, November 28, 2011

On our Way Home from Italy

This is just a quick update. We are sitting at the Rome airport waiting for the flight to Paris. Traveling to and from a place is never fun. We got to the Hilton yesterday and I found that we could walk easily to the T-1 Terminal where I needed to get my boarding pass. I got in line - long wait - and found that I could pay for Seymour - 200 euro, not $200 like it cost coming - but I couldn't get my boarding pass until the next day. I could get it online if I didn't have a dog, but even though they saw Seymour when I paid, that didn't count.

They told me to be at the airport by 4:30 am for the 7:20 am flight so I got there at 4:15 am. We waited in line - we were first - and when they opened, I found out that I was in the wrong line! I went to the other line, which was now very long and waited again. They told me I had to get my boarding pass and then get in line to check my one bag. Unfortunately, I couldn't get my boarding pass because there was no record in the system that I had paid for Seymour, even though I had the receipt they have me yesterday.

So, back in line and when I got 1/2 way through the line, they sent me to another line, which was luckily shorter. Now I have my boarding passes all the way home. My sister told me about the Seat Plus option they sell and I tried to check on it - but they said I could only do it online (can't do anything online with a dog) or wait until I get to Paris to see if they have any seats left. So far, no one has asked to look at any of Seymour's health records.

When I was waiting in line to check in at the Hilton I heard this conversation beside me. I actually tried to help, but it didn't work. This is how the conversation went:

American: What is 1 euro worth?
Counter lady: About 1 dollar and 40 cents
American: So 1 euro equals 1 dollar
Counter lady: No 1 euro equals 1 dollar and 40 cents
American: What is 1 dollar worth?
Counter lady: 70 cents
American: So it's like 1 euro to 1 dollar
Me: No, you will get about 70 cents in euro for your dollar
American: What is cents?
Me: They use cents like we use it.
American: Why do they have to use cents. We use cents.
Me: Fade out of the picture and leave it to the counter lady. It went on for a while longer.

It was never resolved and the American left in frustration. She was a kook and you would have thought she would have at least a minor understanding of the euro and dollar.

I will write one more blog from home - when I get there - which I really hope is this evening. I am a bit worried about Seymour because the flight home is longer that the flight here, so he will be in his crate for over 16 hours. I hope to have time to run him to the restroom somewhere, maybe in Atlanta but it is impossible to take him outside since we have little time between flights.

I can't believe that we will be sleeping in my bed tonight - if all goes well!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment